2020.11.10 How to Speed up a Chromebook

I had a little time today to research slow Chromebooks and I learned a lot! 

A BIG one is that I learned how to access the Task Manager on a Chromebook. I didn't know there was one! The Task Manager shows you everything that is running on your device and the resources used. One thing that eats a lot of resources are Chrome extensions, and in the Chromebook Task Manager you can see exactly what resources are used by each extension.

On a Windows device, you access the Task Manager by right-clicking on the Task bar or by pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE. On the Chromebook, just press Shift + Esc.

 
So, if you see your Chromebook has extensions running that you don't use, you can turn them off to save resources. Chrome extensions can be turned off and on in the Extensions Manager, accessed through the puzzle piece   chrome extension puzzle piece  at the top-right of the Chrome browser window. 

Here are some other steps you can take to speed up a Chromebook. I recommend checking after each step to see how your Chromebook is doing and taking notes so you know what you did. You might also try running a speed test after change.
  1. Close any open tabs or apps that you don't need. You might also try rebooting.
  2. Make sure you have the latest version of Chrome OS (Settings > About Chrome OS > Check for updates).
  3. Turn off Bluetooth (Settings > Network).
  4. Install and run Chrome Connectivity Diagnostics to check for problems.
  5. If none of these work you could try turning off the Google Drive background sync in Google Drive settings.

Resources

#WhatILearnedToday

Comments

Popular Posts